Monday, August 1, 2022

Book Quartet Fretboards

Time to get the fretboard .... fretted?  I guess?  Sounds right.

I ordered a large coil so each piece of fret wire had to be individually straightened.  I used a jewelers hammer on the flat of my bench vise.  It was super boring and now it'll take forever to get them all even.

Straightened and tapped in with a hard rubber jewelers hammer.  One day I'll get my press working.

Artsy fartsy picture.  Can you tell which fret slot I cut too shallow?  I can!  Answer at the end of the post.

Next is to file down the jagged cut edges.  I got bored about 4 frets in and used my dremel.  It worked well.  I think next time I'll try finishing one end before I install them.  Secretly though, I know I'll forget.

I don't remember where I got this file, but it is damned helpful.  It files flat (but not that well) at 90 degrees, but what it really does well is the 60 degree bevel on the fret ends.  It saves me a ton of time.

The shallow fret is the 8th.  Ugh.





No comments:

Post a Comment